Gingerbread dough with honey
Baking gingerbread is a must-have ritual before Christmas, but the process becomes even more special, if the gingerbread dough is self-made. Very easy to make, with the typical taste of honey and gingerbread – the dough recipe is offered by Gemoss Chef-Confectioner Diāna Ozoliņa.
Making gingerbread dough
- Mix the flour with the gingerbread spice and soda.
- Mix the butter in the mixing bowl with the spatula tool, adding the sugar until a smooth and creamy mass forms.
- Then add the double cream and honey and continue to stir.
- Add the dry ingredients, mix until the gingerbread dough is homogenous.
- Wrap the dough in food wrap and allow it to rest for 12 hours in the fridge.
- Then roll the dough out between two sheets of baking paper or acetate film sheets and cut out the shapes with cutters (the dough can be placed in the freezer or blast chiller to make it easier to work with).
- Bake at 175 °C for 6-8 min., depending on the thickness of the rolled dough.
Preparing the glaze
70 g egg whites (pasteurised)
625 g icing sugar
+ q.s. water
- Sift the icing sugar.
- In a mixer bowl, mix both ingredients until a homogenous mass forms.
- Place the mass in an airtight container, cover it with a paper towel soaked in water and put on the lid.
- This glaze is used to draw the outline of the gingerbread cookies and delicate patterns. Use the confectionery bag and the round tip (size No. 2).
- To glaze with this glazing, add a little water from the sprayer to make the consistency slightly more liquid, so that it can even itself out (can also be stirred slightly with a wooden skewer or small spatula).
Once the gingerbread cookies are baked and cooled, decorate them with the glazing. If you would like to add decorations to the glaze, such as sugar beads, apply them immediately after glazing, while the glaze is still soft.
Let’s create the taste and flavours of Christmas!